- Sybil Kapoor
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 45 minutes to cook, plus cooling
- 3 large free-range egg whites
- 170g caster sugar
- ½ tbsp cornflour
- 55g desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 passion fruit, halved
- 1 mini pineapple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 small mango, peeled, stoned and chopped
- ½ papaya, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 284ml double cream, whipped
- 1. Preheat the oven to 120°c/fan100°c/gas ½. Draw a 20cm circle on a sheet of baking paper (use the base of a 20cm round cake tin as a guide) and place on a baking sheet.
- 2. Whisk the egg whites in a large, clean, dry bowl until they form stiff peaks. Add a quarter of the sugar and whisk until stiff and glossy, then gradually whisk in the remaining sugar until very glossy. Finally, fold in the cornflour, coconut and vinegar.
- 3. Spoon the meringue onto the paper circle, shaping into a disc. Bake for 45 minutes or until crisp on the outside and gooey inside. Turn off the oven and leave the meringue inside to cool and dry out for 1 hour. Once cool, remove from the oven, carefully peel off the paper and put on a cake stand.
- 4. Meanwhile, scoop the passion fruit pulp into a bowl. Mix in the pineapple, mango and papaya. Spoon the cream on to the meringue and top with the tropical fruit.
Per serving: 446kcals, 31.3g fat (20.8g saturated), 3.3g protein, 40.2g carbs, 36.4g sugar, 0.1g salt
Add a little kirsch to the cream if you want an extra kick.
A chilled, delicate, sweet Riesling is a real treat with pavlova.