Ready to wear your cute new summer dresses and tank tops, but feeling too pale? (Story of my life.) Go bronze like Jennifer Aniston and add some color without sun damage thanks to these tips from InStyle magazine.
1. GO SLOWLY Opt for a moisturizer that gradually builds a subtle tan with DHA, a chemical that produces a darker color in the upper layers of skin. Apply it every day and, within a week, you'll see a slightly deeper hue emerge.
2. PREP YOUR BODY Shower and shave a few hours before the self-tanning, then smooth the skin's surface with an exfoliator so the color goes on evenly.
3. MOISTURIZE DRY SPOTS Don't forget to rub a little lotion on your elbows, knees, and feet. Since those areas tend to be super-dry, they grab more color and can wind up darker than the rest of your body.
4. CREATE CONTOURS Though self-tanner can give you a nice, healthy glow, it often erases the natural shadows that give your face definition. Add dimension with a powder brush that's one shade darker than your tan. Using a fan brush, dust it along the cheekbones, sides of the nose, hairline, and jawline.
5. PICK THE RIGHT OUTFIT If you're bronzing at a salon, wear loose, long-sleeve loungewear. Besides the delayed glow from DHA, most formulas also deliver a temporary tint that can rub off. So the more covered up you are, the less likely it is to smudge anything else.
For more beauty and fashion tips, pick up the May issue of InStyle, on newsstands now!
Copyright 2012 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.